Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - My Car just stopped !!!

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
Avantaclue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Everybody,
I recently bought a 1994 2.5TDI Avant and yesterday it just stopped in traffic and i had to be recovered home Sad Anyway on closer inspection it would seem the fuel pump belt has broken (i can see a belt hanging down) and the engine will still crank over but obviously not fire, so my question is - please can anyone here point me to the info i need in order to replace the aforementioned belt along with what else i might do at the same time.
I also have had an annoying tick over issue and what i think is the tell tale fan belt tensioner rattle so will be addressing these issues as well (from looking on this forum i think tick over could be an injector).
Also does anybody have any of these parts to sell or know the best place to source them as i believe the tensioner to be in the region of £150 Shocked

Many Thanks - looking to getting her back on the road as she does approx 50mpg as opposed to my other German car an 89 G Wagen Very Happy

spink
Bandwidth Buster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

The A6 Haynes manual covers everything on the AAT and AEL,i don't know of anything online myself.Sounds to me like it hasn't had any servicing done to it recently.Well worth replacing all the belts/tensioner/water pump plus the other parts.You may be able to buy a kit that contains everything.Mine had the lot changed just before i bought it so havn't needed to do on mine yet.

Try vagparts for the parts,usually massive savings to be had over audis prices.

BladeRunner
Sadly no longer with us- RIP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

The poor idle was most likely the pump timing going out before it broke, chances are the cambelt might be as bad so worth checking

I recently priced up the parts for someone from Audi, note the prices in brackets are less 5% (discount I get from audi) + vat

Crank bolt £5.99

Waterpump exchange £45.83 + (£25 surcharge)

Cambelt £22.00

tensioner £27.00

tensioner nut, stud, spacer & washers £5

pump belt £24.99

tensioner £33.53

idler £29.28

camshaft sproket bolts £2 ??

Millers XFE 5ltr 21.99

Audi genunie filter £12 (or £8.68 for a non genuine)

-------------------------------------

cambelt tensioner wp & pumpbelt = £132.81 (£148.25)

with oil change = £166.80 (185.84)

with pump tensioner & idler = £229.61 (£256.30)

------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to just get it running again simply replace the pump belt and re-time, but a word of warning! I have recently seen the carnage from a Volvo V70, (uses our AEL engine transversely mounted). After a recent cambelt at 140k miles, the pump bearing has now gone. Audi recon exchange pump = £45 I've had too recently because they seemed to have no repaired units so I got new ones both times for recon price Laughing

This Volvo has 6 bent valves camshaft in 4 bits and smashed lifters, he was unfamiliar with the engine and originally asked me what was the problem because his brother bought it dead and it looks like the camshaft has broken... I said most likely water pump and the broken camshaft was a consequence. He bought the water pump in the next day with a very dead bearing. My policy of water pump every 2nd belt change has now moved to every belt change because £45 is better than the £400 - £500 it will cost to mend this Volvo..

You may also find the crank pulley has delaminated that can cause a death rattle at the front of the engine, (not cheap) I've no evidence to back this up but some of the pulley de-lamination issues might be caused by insufficient tightening of the pulley bolt 220nm + 270 degrees !! You need to borrow a trained Oragutang and a long bar to get it to that!

The Haynes manual is good as spink says but the job while not difficult requires some degree of knowledge / tooling / time to complete along with vag-com to time up correctly

I Have Genuine Vag Com Hex Can 2+2, Vag Tacho & Snap-on Modis latest software 

View next topic
View previous topic