Your Real Estate Professionals In Spain
Audifans.net: Audi Forums

www.audifans.net :: View topic - I'm going to ask it.....Hard Top Roof For sale??

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
View next topic
View previous topic
RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is anyone thinking of selling one soon? I'm sure this will be a dead end, but I had to ask Smile

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ebay had a couple a while back, but one was asking for £700 without fitting kit, while the other wanted £1100! I spoke on the phone with the guy selling the one at £1100 and he said he had loads of interest.

They are pretty rare and usually appear in spring, before the good weather kicks in. I do have one, but it is in storage and not for sale just now. (It will remain until I eventually part with the whole car).

Anyway moral of the story is, if you see a decent one..grab it quick!

Occasionally they appear on the forum here - this is where I got mine. I was nearly travelling to liverpool to pay £1100 for the one mentioned above. It came from a trusted member who lived not too far away, not to mention at a cracking price! (£700 cheaper than the ebay seller)..result!!

It may be worth asking around other forums, or even classic car part classifieds?

Just make sure your car has the supporting brackets already installed (if your car is registered after mid 1996 then it will likely have them already fitted). If you don't have them then you MUST make sure that any seller is including those in the sale - you CANNOT fit the hardtop without them.

If you eventually get one, here is a link to the hardtop fitting instructions from ElsaWin:
http://1drv.ms/1VFUIGF
This is a direct link from my microsoft OneDrive public account - no signup or any faffing about.
Start at page 14 if you have supporting brackets already installed, or page 10 without.
If you are lucky enough to also have the wiring loom that allows use of the heated rear glass screen (extremely rare!), start from the beginning of the document. AFAIK most people just use the original rear blower to demist their rear screens, apparently this works well.
One last thing to remember is to make sure that the locking mechanism in the top of the scuttle panel is covered by tape, otherwise the dash light for the roof malfunction will be constantly flashing. (Only other solution is to pull the bulb from the cluster).
Please excuse the weird symbols dotted occasionally through the pdf, these were contained in the original file but make difference at all when making out what the instructions mean.

Apologies if you already knew any of the above info, hope it helps!
Happy hunting..

BRC LPG conversion - half price fuel Wink
Twin exit custom exhaust fitted by the guys at glasgow C+C Exhausts.  
RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you so much for replying and no I didn't know any of that apart from it's going to be a long search! I know I need the fitting kit included, but to be honest I wasn't really sure if I were to collect one if it was all there :/ Mine is a 1997, do you happen to know where I would look for the wiring loom for the heated glass screen? Sorry i'm pulling the 'Girl card'. I saw a bunch of brand new wiring in the boot wing, but i've assumed that is for the autochanger that I so desperately need.
I'm not sure about the 'Happy Hunting' I've almost given up already - day 4 of searching Wink

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh found it in the link you sent, will send the old man out later to see if have all the right bits Smile

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The supporting brackets are not usually part of the fitting kit..they were fitted as standard on mid 96 plate onwards, if they are not on your car already then it means they were removed at some point in its' lifetime.

Easiest way to check if they are already there is to look for the allen screw (AKA "self locking stud") on your car. Examples of this are on page 10 of the ElsaWin pdf I posted before. If the allen screw is there, then the brackets are there and it saves a lot of potential hassle (and expense!)

The support brackets themselves are what the main fitting kit attaches to - the clamping wedge and special collared nut are used on them to hold the main fitting brackets from the fitting kit.

Dont worry too much about the wiring for the rear heated screen, it is a separate wiring loom that comes with some fitting kits and they are practically non existent now. It allows you to use the rear heated screen on the hardtop but most people just use the original blower.

As for on day 4 of searching, I suspect you are gonna have a long wait..chances are you will come across one by accident or when you least expect it!
Hang in there though, having a decent hardtop is a big selling point when getting rid of a whole car and can add a good few hundred notes to help the cause..

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you so much again. My husband is going to wish he didn't come home tonight, i'm sending straight to the garage to inspect her Smile I won't give up searching though, perhaps I will heed your advice and wait for one to come up - fate an all that jazz.

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just nipped out and put on one of the fitting kit brackets and took a couple of snaps for anyone who needs them.
See pics for extra help..(bottom one first, they uploaded in reverse..doh!!)

20150725_183038.jpg
 Description:
After fitting main bracket..
 Filesize:  191.82 KB
 Viewed:  1889 Time(s)

20150725_183038.jpg

20150725_182511.jpg
 Description:
Before fitting bracket..(passenger/left hand side of the car)
 Filesize:  199.95 KB
 Viewed:  1709 Time(s)

20150725_182511.jpg

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Found this..
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&u=http://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/audi-80-cabrio-hardtop-alcantara-umlackierung-moegl-/334297246-223-473&usg=ALkJrhgXxHOwQUlDReUGZeEHWSq0ngH_mQ

Have to register by the looks of it before a message can be sent. Have no idea at all if they would post it to uk, would cost quite a bit I imagine!

4163cc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Also worth noting there are two types of hardtop out there. An Audi kit and a Weissman kit.

The Weisman has more of a curved rear glass wrap around style to it, the genuine audi one is a flatter glass. Weismann is also more of a fibreglass based hardtop (I think) and the Genuine one is more Composite with metal underpinnings.

Fitting kit is the same for both I believe.

Finally, A lot of people end up needing to replace the rubber seals to get a tight fit, I haven't had to but not even sure where you would start with this.

If I was looking long term I would setup an eBay alert to as soon as one is listed you get pinged an email Cool

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes, already done that Smile So have many others i suspect sigh. Wink

gag4o
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-80-cabriolet-hardtop-green-genuine-Audi-Wheel-Bolt-/131564781185?hash=item1ea1df3e81
this one will sell, so hurry up

this is option too
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-80-b4-CABRIOLET-2-8-Auto-1998-with-super-rare-Hard-Top-/151751710126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23551b55ae
Smile

Matt-Matt
Camped on the site

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

gag4o wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-80-cabriolet-hardtop-green-genuine-Audi-Wheel-Bolt-/131564781185?hash=item1ea1df3e81

this is option too
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-80-b4-CABRIOLET-2-8-Auto-1998-with-super-rare-Hard-Top-/151751710126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23551b55ae
Smile

Oh wow! I want some Boleros so bad! If I had a job I'd totally get them shipped to Australia! Surprised They just look so good.

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

The green 80 came on my ebay alerts and i messaged him first thing. He's going to try to sell the car complete first, if not he will consider breaking. Fingers crossed.

The black 80 - he won't sell his roof separately.

When i finally get a roof and then finally have to sell the car - I would defo sell them separately, i don't think it adds value to the car at all. Not everyone can store the roof and some people don't even like the roof on. You can make so much more on the car by selling the car as a soft top. Of course, that would help me out tonnes too Smile

Thank you for the links!

gag4o
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

you are welcome. The seller is trusted and well known so you can rely on Smile

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RizzoThePink wrote:
The green 80 came on my ebay alerts and i messaged him first thing. He's going to try to sell the car complete first, if not he will consider breaking. Fingers crossed.

The black 80 - he won't sell his roof separately.

When i finally get a roof and then finally have to sell the car - I would defo sell them separately, i don't think it adds value to the car at all. Not everyone can store the roof and some people don't even like the roof on. You can make so much more on the car by selling the car as a soft top. Of course, that would help me out tonnes too Smile

Thank you for the links!

Ah, but as soon as prospective buyers know that they can sell on the hardtop themselves and get a good chunk of their hard earned greens back then I believe that is a huge selling point. I appreciate that some people don't like having a hardtop and you can get more money for them separately but I would rather give someone the option of having it first.
I think the more you have to put in an advert the more people think they are getting for their money.
When I do get round to selling mine I will keep the upper hand and make sure that it goes to a good home with a mature driver and not some little boy/girl racer that will wrap it round the first tree they come up against when the sun shines. As for the hardtop itself, that will be advertised to go along with the car.
That said, I've got too many future plans for my own cab, been simmering over the thought of shipping it off to Tonks 4x4 where he can drop an S2 engine/box in. Will keep the power levels down to a minimum as it will still be FWD though, can't afford the chassis conversion to quattro! tongue

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

gag4o wrote:

this is option too
Smile

Good find mate, and £900! Damn thats pricey, but given that nobody else is selling then he commands the market!
As for the other one, I would be doing a lot of haggling over the listed faults, especially the roof light coming on in the dashboard. No way is it worth 3k - I would be expecting mint condition with all electrics working for that price range.

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Funny you say that about keeping the roof with the car, it could aid the sale. Especially as i was thinking about buying the a black one on the above links just for the roof, then sell on the car as a soft top! He hee

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I can't justify £900 for the green roof as i'd need to respray it black. Sad

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RizzoThePink wrote:
Funny you say that about keeping the roof with the car, it could aid the sale. Especially as i was thinking about buying the a black one on the above links just for the roof, then sell on the car as a soft top! He hee

I was just about to suggest that was an option! lol
Could buy that car for around £2200 after haggling, then sell the car on alone without the roof for around £1500 - 1800. Would need to ensure that all the electric faults are sorted though. 2.8 autos are not the model that everyone wants, they can be thirsty so the manuals sell a lot better.

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RizzoThePink wrote:

Why respray it when you can have it vinyl wrapped any colour you like?
Lot cheaper too..

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just noticed that the black 2.8 auto is a buy it now listing - no way is it worth 3k, guy is sooooo chancing his arse!!

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

v6-fubar wrote:
RizzoThePink wrote:

Lot cheaper too..

Ohh hadn't thought of that Idea Brilliant, I know a company that does that near me, I'll get a quote and have a nose at what it could look like. Wink

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

v6-fubar wrote:
Just noticed that the black 2.8 auto is a buy it now listing - no way is it worth 3k, guy is sooooo chancing his arse!!

I wouldn't really. No drive left with our everyday car and two cabbies!

v6-fubar
Audi Nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RizzoThePink wrote:
v6-fubar wrote:
RizzoThePink wrote:

Lot cheaper too..

Ohh hadn't thought of that Idea Brilliant, I know a company that does that near me, I'll get a quote and have a nose at what it could look like. Wink

My hardtop is still the original yellow but the guy who vinyl wrapped my full car said he would do a carbon fibre style wrap on it for £150 all in, so if you are quoted more than that it may be worth haggling or looking elsewhere.

4163cc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

sometimes contrasting colours look good, but not so sure of green on black, I toyed with the idea of leaving mine silver when I got it, but a mate sprayed it for £150, did a blooming good job on it too!

richy2203
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="v6-fubar"]
RizzoThePink wrote:
v6-fubar wrote:
RizzoThePink wrote:

Lot cheaper too..

v6-fubar what a brilliant idea to vinyl wrap the roof, has any one had one done yet?

RizzoThePink pm sent re where i found my roof, good luck hunting...

In the process of fitting one of these to my garage roof for 1 man fitment & safe storage
Org Audi 80 B4 Cabrio Hardtop Deckenlift 8G0071290 Deckenkran Hardtophalterung
( 181683521344 )
will add picswhen job is done

Rich........

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rich, Replied to you Pm just now, thanks Smile

I have requested a quote for vinyl wrapping a roof, expecting my reply today. Will update as soon as i know, so we have a guide price for future reference Smile

RizzoThePink
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="4163cc"]sometimes contrasting colours look good, but not so sure of green on black, I toyed with the idea of leaving mine silver when I got it, but a mate sprayed it for £150, did a blooming good job on it too!

Both your photo's look awesome. Mine would be contrasting too. Either black or dark blue i'm after, anything else needs changing Wink

gag4o
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got mine still in blue, but will color match it soon.

When I installed it, I realise I do not have to cover the "holes" on the top of the windshield, because I do not have ones. The hardtop just snaped in and no roof light appered. I realise I have the plug for the heated windows left under the carpet of the roof top compartment, but decided to use just the blower, even thou I use it 1-2 times a year due to the hot climate we have here Smile

richy2203
Inexperienced

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

gag4o wrote:
I got mine still in blue, but will color match it soon.

When I installed it, I realise I do not have to cover the "holes" on the top of the windshield, because I do not have ones. The hardtop just snaped in and no roof light appered. I realise I have the plug for the heated windows left under the carpet of the roof top compartment, but decided to use just the blower, even thou I use it 1-2 times a year due to the hot climate we have here Smile

Has any one actually managed to get a roof that is the right colour ?
I have a silver roof for my blue car & a guy in London has the opposite, & you have a blue roof on a white car !!!

View next topic
View previous topic